Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Flamingos

A friend of mine in FMB asked me to do a painting of two or three flamingos. It was fun to do a painting where the finished result had to look much like the photo. As the work progressed, I realized that I am becoming less and less of a photo realist artist. I enjoy being creative and changing the photo to what looks best and what I want to express. What a slow gradual journey it has been. Even during Neill Wallings course, he wanted the finished painting to look much like the photo. The exercise made me look more closely at the photo and then  I realized what I had overlooked, the subtle value changes and changes in depth of colours. It's these small changes that are important to the over all effect that I want to create in the painting. The result of this thinking is that in future I am going to look more closely at the scene and use these changes to achieve a better painting, the way I want it to be, not like in the photo. So here is the finished painting, much like the photo, but with my own personal touches.

                                        Sold

No comments:

Post a Comment